The SMASH P(arent) T(eacher) S(tudent) A(ssociation) is comprised of a group of volunteer parents, teachers and students working together to expand children’s educational opportunities in an atmosphere of tolerance, trust and mutual understanding. PTSA activities include:
1. Sponsoring events that encourage community involvement.
2. Fundraising finance special programs, technology and classroom needs.
3. Educating parents on various subject matters such as Internet safety.
4. Promoting intercultural understanding through multi-cultural events and special programs.
5. Fostering open communication among the entire SMASH community.
The SMASH PTSA meets once a month, alternating Wednesday morning and evening meetings; dates and times are on the SMASH calendar. Every member of the SMASH community is encouraged to join.
The SMASH Site Council is comprised of elected teacher, staff, parent, and student representatives as well as the SMASH principal. The Site Council advises how to use the district funds earmarked for school improvement. The Site Council meeting dates and times are posted on the SMASH calendar.
There are many ways to volunteer at SMASH including: classroom helper, field trip chaperone, committee member, room parent, fundraising event helper, guest speaker, and more. Your help is always appreciated and needed! Be sure to read the Friday Letter every week to see if something specific is needed or contact your child’s teacher or the main office to find a way to be involved.